Start a new topic

Hold and Tap for right click

I always preferred the way Wacom had an option "hold and tap" to produce a right click. This would be helpful for those of us that use mouse gestures as the current "click" and drag the stylus button kind of freaks the mouse gesture reader out.

3 people like this idea

Thanks for passing that on. I'm sending that on to the Driver to take a look at.

Question for you on the "Tap and Hold." The Driver team asked if you would like to see that being application-specific or more of a global feature?

If it were application-specific, you would need to add the application to the Application row and then turn on the "Tap and Hold" feature, and it would then only work with the applications you had set it up to work with.

Your thoughts?

2 people like this

This feature feels like it needs universal application too. For me (and probably some others) it is more about how my hands and fingers move and my muscle memory. Tapping with my pen down is my hand and brain "saying" do something, its active and purposeful. Pressing the side pen button is more akin to a modifier key (similar to how I use the CTRL and ALT in my art programs). Having to hover my pen and then press the side button and have something happen is jarring.

3 people like this

Thanks for your insight. I would like to hear from others. What are your thoughts on this?

1 person likes this

I am looking forward to this feature too

1 person likes this

I would like to repeat the message from my feature request email. I hope others will see it and perhaps join our discussion.

I would like to be able to change the mode for pressing the pen buttons. Wacom calls it "Click and tap" or "Press and hold".

The default is: Hold the pen tip close to the tablet and press the pen button to do a right click or other click function.

Possible change to: Press the pen button and tap the pen tip to the tablet to do right-click or other click function.

That means that it will only register a click from one of the pen buttons, once the pen is in contact with the surface of the tablet.

Using a tablet in this way allows me to have more control when I press the pen buttons. There is never a moment when I hold the pen tip close to the tablet, press the pen button and the pen goes out of range, interrupting the press at the most inconvenient moment. Worse and more often, when I press the button, the pointer moves relative to the expected point and I get a different result than I expected.

I need the pen button to be triggered when I tap the pen tip to the tablet to press and hold the right click or middle click.

If I run the Diagnostic Tool, the Pen Button Code displays a different value if I hold the pen button and if I hold the pen button and tap the pen tip to the tablet. Based on this, I assume the possibility of adding this feature.

In your reply email you said that you had sent my request to the driver team as a feature request and that they would have a chance to review it after new Pen Display 24 out the door. I think that the time has come for this.

Really looking forward to adding this feature. Because I sometimes have to use a Wacom tablet, I still can't get used to using a tablet without this feature. I don't think I'm the only one who has switched from a Wacom tablet and who needs to have this feature.

2 people like this

I really really think this should be a feature, I just sent a mail to the support team with this exact topic.

If it helps I link here  a screenshot of wacoms configuration so you can see how they have handled this https://imgur.com/a/urf9vB4

Currently with the Xencelabs driver, you have the Hover and Click. I can hover my pen nib over the Pen Tablet and press my lower pen button (Right Click) and the Customize settings dialog opens.

How do you see using the Click and Tap feature?

1 person likes this

In response to Mike above

How do you see using the Click and Tap feature?

Click and tap essentially makes the buttons on the pen modifier buttons. Hold the "right click" modifier button and Tap down on the pen.

(i am repeating myself i am sure)
Tapping down with the pen is a purposeful action. When the pen is down its actively doing something. When its up, we are using that movement to relocate the cursor to a new spot, then down again. The up and down movement of the pen on "paper" is what all the mouse-click (and key press) modifiers should cater to.

1 person likes this

Exactly as shown at the screenshot above in the wacom tablet settings. Press the pen button and then tap the pen tip to the tablet do a right-click.

As I said before, this gives you more control when you tap the pen buttons. When I press the button and then tap the pen tip to the tablet, the pointer will be exactly where I want it, and will not move relative to the expected point at the moment I press the pen button.

1 person likes this

I can definitely see the Click and Tap feature being a valuable addition to Xencelabs tablets, particularly for those of us working in Blender. While the Hover and Click feature is useful, it can be easy to accidentally drag a vertex or lose precision when moving an object. With Click and Tap, the accuracy is greatly improved, which is essential for 3D modeling and other tasks that require precise movements.

Additionally, selecting vertices in Blender would be much more efficient and accurate with this feature. I've also found that in sculpting mode, Hover and Click can cause issues with certain brushes, so Click and Tap would be a welcome alternative.

As someone who started using Blender with version 2.79 and prefers the old configuration for faster navigation and right-click select, I find that Hover can sometimes slow me down. However, with Click and Tap, I believe my speed and productivity would be greatly improved. Overall, I believe that the Click and Tap feature would be a significant improvement for Xencelabs tablets, especially for those of us working in Blender.

1 person likes this

Those are all compelling arguments for having Click and Tap. I have let the driver team know that we have more customers that are interested in that feature.

Thanks for posting your thoughts and requests. This is exactly how we get new features added to the Setting panel!

Just following up any updates on this feature

That has been added to the feature list. The driver team will be looking at creating this functionality in the feature. At this time, I do not have a time estimate on when it will be added to the driver. 

Login to post a comment